Type:Home Page Redesign and Website content updates
Programming and Build: Jason Coman
Colchester Zoo approached with a requirement to redesign and update their home page on their existing website and perform various updates on other pages throughout the website and to fix any existing problems they were having with the functionality of the website.
Diagnosis Of The Client's Requirements
Through a number of face-to-face meetings with the client, their specific requirements and goals for the website to meet were established. These included:
- Recreating a new look for the homepage, adding new sections and removing others no longer needed.
- Building and adding a new twitter feed, an amended navigation bar and a scrollable latest news section.
- Updating the latest news and the hero banner images as Colchester Zoo required it.
- Ensure the website is fully mobile responsive.
- Fix existing back-end issues with the website, particularly with the booking procedures.
- Add a new link to the Tripadvisor page for the customers to use.
Now the clients exact requirements were determined, a PSD mock-up design of the new home page layout and design was created to allow the client to visualise the final outcome before coding started. Once the design was agreed, the functionality of the website was determined to ensure that their customers got the most out of the website. Over the next two weeks the new home page for the website was built using the PSD design and comments regarding the functionality of the site. During the design build, the client was kept in the loop as to how the website was progressing on a regular basis. This was to ensure that the website was still meeting expectations and that the requirements hadn't changed from the original specification. Once the website was built, it was fully tested in desktop and mobile devices to ensure all was correct. Once the client was happy with the website, the new home page was activated live.
The client was extremely happy with the new home page design once finished, so much so they wanted to discuss using a similar layout on all the other pages throughout the site. This has yet to be done though.